Thursday, April 17, 2008

The dawn of pre-teen angst

The kids and I always manage to sail through our homeschooling duties and really enjoy ourselves. We normally enjoy just being together and learning together.

Then last week started. There must be something in the air....spring fever I believe. Lauren suddenly thought that her time would be better spent in public school. I tried to weigh the pros and cons for her, but she continue to insist that she really might want to give public school a try. I was frustrated with her and I actually seriously considered it.

I think she lost her mind. Who would want to give up 3-4 hour school days, afternoons at the pool, sleeping in late, school in your jammies, kick-butt field trips, afternoon playdates with you best friend, taking the day off when we just don't feel up to it?.....just to name a few. Apparently Lauren would like to give it up.

So... I decided it was time to take the day off and spend some quality time together. We headed to the zoo. The weather was beautiful. We chatted it up with a few zoo keepers. We saw some great presentations. We even fed the squirrels and rode the train. We were having such a good time together we completely lost track of time. We spent 5 hours at the zoo! Lauren still insisted that she wanted to go to public school.

I had promised my grandmother that we would stop by and visit with her before we went home. As usual she had baked some cookies for us. We all sat down to chat and grandma poured some apple juice for the kids. I told her about my frustrations with Lauren. Lauren quietly listened to our conversation. Then grandma turned to Lauren and told her how good she had it. She ran her down the short list of pros and the long list of cons of public school. Lauren again quietly listened.

When we got in the car I told her that the next day she should be prepared to get up early so we could go and enroll her in public school. Then she said what I had been waiting to hear. She did not want to go. I asked her why, and she said that what great-grandma said made her change her mind. Apparently we have now reached the stage where I am one of the dumbest people she knows. (oh brother)

2 comments:

pam said...

You are such a good mom, hey maybe she just misses all the visiting with friends at school????

Christina said...

I would consider that she was missing friends at school except for her 2 best friends are homeschooled.....many of her friends are. We have about 10 families in our ward that homeschool.

We socialize quite a bit. We are in multiple clubs and are constantly having playdates with their friends....then there is church, activity days, scouts, etc. It's rare when we spend a day locked up in the house.