Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Update From the Eye of the Storm

Well....not literally from the eye...maybe a few miles west of it. We are high and relatively dry. We are experiencing CAT 1 hurricane winds and rain....it is raining sideways at the moment. We are 150 miles north of our home, and staying with Steven's mom and step-dad. Things are good here. Steven's mom is a great cook, so the food is awesome. We are bored, so we are eating and eating....and eating....and watching news coverage of the storm.

I woke up several times last night to check the news to see how things were going. I watched news reports as boats sank in the gulf and debris lashed the houses that were actually still standing. As daylight shined on the destruction we have been glued to the TV to see what Houston looks like. What we have seen so far is quite shocking. Downtown looks like a war zone. The glass is blown out of the buildings, and there are computers and office equipment littering the streets.

Steven is getting text messages from our friends from church. Most of our friends have several trees down...some of those trees are on their houses. No one has power, and some of them don't have home phone service either. The phone lines are clogged and it is hard to get through to those that do actually have phone service. I suppose that everyone is calling to check on their loved ones.

We are still trying to get though to find out what our own home looks like. I'm biting my nails and getting a bit restless waiting to get through to one of our neighbors to find out what we have to come home to. We have probably 15+ trees on out 1/2 acre of property. With what we are hearing about the destruction from our friends and family that live close to us there is probably a 100% chance that we lost several trees.....where they might have landed is what has me concerned. It is all replacable though. We will muddle through it. We are prepared to handle it when we return. We are safe and that is all that matters.

For now we are very comfortable. Steven's step-dad joked this morning that we better not end up like a bunch of Katrina refugees and refuse to go back home. LOL It's tempting to stay.

I will update when I find out what our home looks like.

Thanks for your prayers and thoughts!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Stay safe, Christina. Dingos have been asking about how you are doing. We'd appreciate an update, and I'm sitting here with fingers crossed that all is ok at your home.

pam said...

Boy I hope everything on your lot is perfectly still, not one tree pulled up.... sorry you guys have to go through this, hope it goes as well as can be.