A lot of people are curious and have asked me how things were going with the kids in public school. Well, the first round of report cards are due out next week. The district has an online grade book, so I already know how they are doing. All I can say is so far so good!
I have been very pleasantly surprised with how well each of them has adjusted to public school. They really didn't miss a beat. They got right in the groove and made new friends. They caught on to the daily routine. I guess their grades are what will tell the tale....and the tale is good.
One thing I didn't expect to see was Corben turn into a scholar over night. He was always pretty agreeable at home but not a reach for the stars kind of kid. Now he lives to see that 100 on his tests and homework. Not what I expected. He has read so much....he is constantly working on a new book. He has completely impressed me!
Lauren is fitting right in. She is learning how to take responsibility for her education. That was always my biggest argument with her. She is also learning the value of hard work. She has quite a few good friends and is doing well. No major complaints from her. I am proud of her. She is taking one AP class and is taking some big steps forward.
I am very proud of Hayden. She got off to a rough start with school. The first week she had this glazed over look on her face. The teacher, the kids, the school....it was all just too much for her to take in. She is my social butterfly though, so in just a few days she had a whole room full of friends. She settled into her routine and learned how to function in a large class. She is pulling in some great grades now, and she is so proud of herself. She has come a LONG way in just a few weeks.
Logen is my little first grade man. He is doing good. Lots of reading. School isn't his favorite thing in the world, but homeschooling wasn't his favorite either. He would rather play video games 24-7....but that doesn't happen until the weekend(and not 24-7 either!).
So, I guess it's so far so good. The kids all have some great teachers, and there are some great things happening in their classrooms. I still feel really involved with the things they have going on. I'm enjoying just being normal for a change....not being the weird mom at the store with 5 kids in tow on a school day....not feeling the need to turn everything we do into something educational....not being 100% responsible for the care, feeding, clothing, discipline, spiritual nurturing, AND education of five children. The kids are happy, and that makes me happy too.
No comments:
Post a Comment