The Christmas season is right around the corner. The kids have been begging me for 2 weeks to put the tree up already. They are excited to say the least....even me. I am feeling great and I feel really motivated to have some special times together and make some memories.
So here's a list of things we are hoping for this year:
1. First and foremost we have decided this year to make a huge effort to cut back on all of the excess. I will fully admit that we have had some disgustingly elaborate Christmases. I am very prone to going overboard on the presents. I just love to have the kids walk into a living room filled with presents....to me it is magical. The problem is that the kids are getting older, and they really just don't appreciate it like they should. They don't take care of the toys like I feel they should either. So this year I decided we are cutting WAY back. Several months ago I read that if 3 presents were good enough for Jesus then 3 is good enough for my kid....so that's the plan this year! One from Santa, one from mom and dad, and then the kids always shop for each other so they will each draw a name. I'm hoping that the kids will appreciate what they get much more, and hopefully it will free up my mind to enjoy the holiday more without running everywhere to make everyone happy.
2. We as a family will be participating in our "Angel Tree" program at church where we shop for gifts for other less fortunate ward members. I did this last year and it was a lot of fun. I plan on involving the kids more this year. Lauren has already decided that she wants to use her own money to buy gifts for a girl from the angel tree. ...that makes me beyond proud!
3. Cookie baking! Every year we all enjoy spending the whole day baking and delivering cookies to the neighbors. They kids can't wait for that one...they really enjoy visiting with the neighbors.
4. Christmas Eve with my mom and sisters.....this is something we do every year. This year it will be even more special because all of my sisters will be there, and one of them will have her fiance in tow! It will be a very special evening.
5. New pajamas....always....on Christmas Eve.
6. Taking a drive to look at Christmas lights. We always spend 1 family night in December having a nice drive to look at Christmas lights.....complete with chocolate milk and cookies.
7. Glenn Beck's Coma Hot Chocolate....it involves hershey bars and half&half. The calorie police would lock me up if I posted the recipe. ...and yes, it will put you in a coma.
8. Decorating the tree the day after Thanksgiving....ALWAYS....it is just what we do.
3 comments:
Love your list, gee I even forgot about driving around looking at lights, we do that too.
What? Crystal is getting married? teehee.
I'm really liking your 3 gift idea....and then getting into spirit by giving to others!!!
What about the camping gear? Huh?
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
oh and I want the Coma hot chocolate recipe.
Nothing says Christmas like a chocolate coma!
Rainbows and Unicorns,
Smurfette
Post a Comment